Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Type D? M? Z? or OMG, no...A?

So, I was having lunch last week with my boss and colleauge who both have kids and are both gay - aka no wives, mothers, etc. in the household.

We get along great, know each other quite well and are brutally honest with each other. I love hanging out with them. It's so easy and they're always complimenting me on all things girly. It's awesome.

Our conversations always circle around to kids at some point or another. I have the oldest ones in the bunch. So, I'm the defacto seasoned veteran parent, and only mom.

My boss, who has a 3 year old, starts talking about how he and his daughter have discovered playdough and how wonderful it is. And then I innocently respond and ask, "Have you ever made playdough before?"

WRONG QUESTION.

Man, did I get lambasted with the whole - "who has time to make playdough? oh, of course you do ms. get up to run in the morning, as you knit, pta president!" They went on and on.

"Seriously, how hard is it to make playdough?" I thought to myself and then it brought me back to those early days as a mom when I was absolutely DONE with parenting after a few weeks because it was just so damn hard.

One of the many things I found so hard about it was the lack of control of my schedule, my time, of what I wanted to do.

And I realized that most of my life, I had thought I was a really laid back, flexible, calm, relaxed, spontaneous person when in reality I wasn't. It was all relative. I had somehow surrounded myself with people much more type A than me, so by comparison, I believed I was more like a type M...just your average person.

Not so. I realized that I was in fact probably a type D...and had managed to surround myself around a ton of type As, Bs, and Cs....but in the grander scheme of things, I was truly a type A type. No way around it.

So, making playdough was yet another revelation into who I truly am. Completely, utterly type A no matter how I try to disguise it.

No comments: